Thursday, July 31, 2014

Move-Out Inspection

First, when you rent a place, you need to know that you have a right, by law (CCP 1950.5) to request a pre-move out inspection, about two to three weeks BEFORE you move out.  This gives you, the tenant, a chance to go over any damages in the unit with the appropriate person so you can have a chance to fix them to protect your security deposit.

Also, take MANY, MANY pictures.

In a nutshell, this is some of what happened to me.  The property manager of the place I rented from, Duran Rentals, did the walk through inspection with me on the day we were vacating.  She was very rushed about it.  She walked around the back of the house (my daughter SAW her), and NEVER said anything about the furniture items we had left by the dumpster (there is no way you can walk behind the house and not see the furniture we left by the dumpster!).  The next day, I got a NASTY email from her saying the neighbors complained about it and if I didn't move the items, they would do it and just charge me out of my security deposit, which I was ok with.  She did mention "illegal dumping" is a crime.  I emailed her back telling her I knew my rights and I probably would not get arrested for that.  She emailed me back threatening to call law enforcement on me if I did not remove the item by a certain date.

This woman also accused me of "locking my cat up", which is a form of animal abuse.  Needless to say, I have provided all this documentation to my attorney as this is foul and vindictive treatment that no tenant should ever have to endure!

No comments:

Post a Comment