Tuesday, July 8, 2014

I know it's been a LONG time since I posted here.  However, I have some new information I'd like to share with my readers.  BEFORE you rent a new place, make sure you know your rights under the state laws you live in and make sure the landlord knows them, too so you won't find yourself dealing with the crap I've had to deal with.

In the duplex I lived in for the past 11 years, it flooded there 8 of the 11 years I lived there.  The last time it flooded, in December of 2012, I was a flood victim, having to evacuate my home as water came into the garage and almost into the house.  I wrote an email to the city manager and the landlord, due to the fact I had gotten tired of having to deal with this flooding, especially considering the fact I could SEE the water by looking in the heating vent in my bathroom.  (I remember one year it flooded and I could see the water in the floor vent, I called the owner and told him, and he actually had the nerve to tell me to put something heavy, such as a book, over the vent to keep the water from coming into the house.  Is he really so ignorant that he doesn't know that a book won't stop forceful water from coming up into a house????).   As a result, due to the insulation and heating ducts then having been underneath the house, the house was actually uninhabitable as defined by California Civil Code 1942.5.  Under this statute, the landlord CAN'T stop services or increase the rent.  I then got a notice of proposed rent increase in February of 2013, to be effective in April of that year, which according to CA Civil Code 1942.5, is illegal.  Plus, my rental agreement stated if there was damage to the unit that was NOT the fault of the tenant or the tenant's family or visitors, then the tenant would get a reduction in rent.  I also have a disability and according to the Fair Housing Amendment Act of 1988, people with disabilities are entitled to have their companion/service animal in their home with them free of pet fees.  I went back and forth with this man's attorney and the attorney is so incompetent that he quoted the Fair Housing Amendment Act of 1968 to me in his letter to me!!!!  This man should NOT be practicing law anymore!   As a result, I actually had to file a lawsuit against this property owner to get what was mine according to the law!

Then, last week when the property manager did the walk out inspection with me, she did go behind the house, but claims in an email to me that she did not see the furniture waste my daughter and I had to leave by the dumpster due to my hired help not showing up.  She then sent me a nasty email stating she would report me to the police if I did not move the items, AFTER she'd sent me the first email stating I'd be charged for their time to dump the items, indicating it was ok.   This is NOT good business as it is vindictive and threatening.   It should NOT be like this as landlord's need to abide by federal and state law and when you have good tenants like me, we need to be treated with respect.  This property owner I refer to owns the Madden St. duplexes on Madden St., between Commercial and East Valley in Willits, California.  He also owns properties in Lake County and other properties in Willits.  This property owner needs to be brought to justice!

No comments:

Post a Comment