Thursday, July 31, 2014

Illegal Rent Increases from Slumlords

I lived at 123 Madden St., #B, Willits, CA 95490, with my family for 11 years.  It flooded at my house EIGHT of the 11 years we lived there.  After the last flood, I was tired of dealing with it (the last one was the worst because water got into my garage, ruining items we had in there).  I emailed the City Manager to find out if that area had been declared a flood zone by FEMA and sent a copy of the email to the landlord.  Due to the flood having damaged the insulation that was then under the house, the landlord had to get the proper permits from the city (Which cost him money) to move the insulation to the attic of the house.  

I then got a notice of proposed rent increase, to be effective in April of 2013, which is illegal according to CA Civil Code 1942.5.  I tried to reason with the then property manager, telling her that was illegal.  I also have a disability for which the Fair Housing Amendment Act of 1988 says I am allowed to have my service / companion animal in my home with me FREE of pet fees.  The landlord's attorney he had then wrote me a letter quoting the Fair Housing Amendment Act of 1968, which had been outdated!  On top of this, the rental agreement I had with them has a clause in it that says if there is damage to the unit that is of NO fault of the tenant and the tenant agrees to stay in the unit, the tenant is entitled to a reduction in rent (this is state law).  I had to take the landlord, Duran Rentals, to court just to get the reduction in rent, which is totally ABSURD as that was my right under the law!

As I have said before and I will continue to say, KNOW YOUR RIGHTS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment